OHS swim team dives into a new season

Photo by Delaney Bever

Paulina Joniec, senior, prepares for a successful dive into the water, with the support of the rest of her team.

Bailey Brammer, Editor-in-Chief

The OHS Swim and Dive team is on the road to Regionals, which will take place on Oct. 31 and Nov. 1 at Glendale Community College. Led by head coach Brittany Smith, the boys team has 18 swimmers and the girls have 19 swimmers.

Last Thursday, the boys and girls teams traveled to Prescott to compete in a dual swim meet. However, according to MaxPreps, both the boys and girls received first place trophies at the Canyon State Invitational on Sept. 27.

Along with winning the meet, several athletes received medals for winning first, second or third place in their events.

Houston Burgoon, sophomore, took first place in both the 100 Butterfly and the 50 Freestyle, Ashley Schroeder, junior, won the 500 Freestyle, Kate Lempka, senior, took first place the 100 Backstroke and Keegan Koch, junior, won the 100 Breaststroke. Both the boys and girls 400 Freestyle Relay teams won as well.

Aside from their achievements at meets, the teams this year feel like they have a very tight-knit group of athletes.

“I like the environment,” said Anna Bilderback, sophomore. “Everyone seems to be friendly, and we just encourage each other.”

In addition to participating in team-bonding, many of the swimmers have goals to qualify for the State Invitational.

“I want to hopefully make state times,” said Sarah Dusza, sophomore.

Whether the athletes qualify or not, they believe they have a good coach training them to be their best.

“She’s willing to work with you,” Dusza said. “Our coach is the bomb.”

.