Talk on Eagle Hour leaves students with anticipation

Isabella Foster

Sam Zaporowski passes Eagle Hour time by playing Volleyball near the center of campus

Isabella Foster, Photo Editor

Over a month into the new school year, students anticipate eagle hour every Tuesday and Thursday. The hour lunch that gives grades 10 through 12 the opportunity to have an extended lunch period or help with classwork. As well as the incoming freshmen who get to experience freshman mentors once a month during the first half of Eagle Hour. This leaves opportunity for students to get ahead in classes they are falling behind in.

Eagle Hour also gives teachers the opportunity to help students and improve grades while getting to know them as a person.

“It’s getting to know the kids, to know what their needs are and then it’s just creating lessons that allow me to actually walk around and not be stuck up in the front of the room, that I can actually walk around and actually get to each one of the kids,” said Cheryl Bremser, Algebra teacher.

Eagle hour can also show and encourage students that want to improve their overall grades as well as ask for the help when they need it.

“Just yesterday I only had six or eight kids who had to come to me and I had nineteen in here; I have a lot of students that choose to come in to get the help they need,” Bremser said.

In addition to aiding students during with work during Eagle Hour, teacher’s host freshmen mentors classes during the first half of eagle hour. Upperclassmen meet with freshmen and help smooth the transition from middle school to high school.

Some freshmen are not as excited for the start of this hour lunch period as they aren’t as keen to the idea of giving up half of their lunch once a month to a class learning about OHS.

“I’m kind of annoyed, to be honest [about freshman mentors], but I feel like it could end up benefiting freshman in the long run,” said Dominique Luna, freshman.

Although freshman mentors isn’t something that all students want to endure, others are optimistic that it will help them gain knowledge of the school and get closer to their peers. Some students have hope for the class in upcoming weeks.

Sophomore Mikayla Bridges talks on how Eagle Hour has helped her in the past when it comes to grades as well as how it is a great opportunity to hang out with friends in different lunches.

“I definitely think there is academic benefits and it’s nice to hang out with my friends who have fifth lunch, and we all get together and get to talk twice a week,” said Bridges.

The hour lunch period requires students to stay outside for the hour unless you are in a building for academic purposes.

“It’s definitely a pain when we have to sit out there for an hour in the heat, but I mean towards the middle of the semester, it doesn’t get that bad,” Bridges said.

This lunch is helpful as some students don’t have the same lunch period with their friends and can now eat with them twice a week.

As the year goes on, Eagle Hour will host many activities during one half of the lunch for students to participate in like basketball, hiking and even making artwork in some classrooms. Eagle Hour has helped students over the years it’s been around and will hopefully help in students in the coming years.

“I feel like it’s going to be fun, it’s a good thing,” said Andrew Roberts, freshman