Circus OC opens with a bang

Circus+OC+opens+with+a+bang+

Bailey Brammer, Editor-in-Chief

Today marks the first day of OHS’s homecoming spirit week, Circus OC: The Greatest Show on Earth.

Originally, Monday’s theme was “The Bearded Lady,” where students were expected to dress like the opposite gender, but late last week, the theme was changed to “Ringling Brothers’ Twin Day.”

“When we looked at the day and reflected on it, we realized it might be insensitive to certain groups of people,” said Brad Brazell, vice principal. “And that’s the last thing we want. We want OC to be about unity and we have to be careful when we have these things that it doesn’t get reduced to stereotypes.”

However, some students did not hear of the change, or chose to ignore the new theme and dress as the opposite gender anyway. Jack Phillips, junior, showed up to school in a skirt and high heels and is excited for the rest of spirit week.

“I think everyone should participate,” Phillips said.

Other students were disappointed with the change in theme, but still decided to “twin” with their friends.

“I’m sad we don’t have gender swap day,” said Taylor Targioni, junior. “But I think twin day is really fun too.”

Along with the start of spirit week, the second annual OHS Powderpuff Football Game is being held tonight at Jack Dillard Stadium. Tickets are $3 and the seniors (dressed in pink) will take on the junior (dressed in purple) at 7 p.m.

“I am very excited for tonight,” said Matt Hernandez, junior Stugo member. “My committee has put in a lot of hard work and we’re excited to see the success of the event go through.”

The rest of the spirit days are “Tamed Tuesday,” where students are expected to dress up in animal print clothing, “Whacked Up Wednesday,” where students wear mix-matched clothing or dress like a clown, “Mind Trick Thursday” where students come to school dressed as a magician or fortune teller and finally “Freak Show Friday,” where each classes gets decked out in their assigned color. Freshmen wear white, sophomores wear yellow, juniors wear blue and seniors wear black.