Clubs On-Campus gives back to the Community

Courtesy of Melissa Mara

Melissa Mara takes her students out to St. Mary’s Food Bank to help out with families.

Katie Diab, Staff Writer

There are many clubs on campus that donate to many different charities to give back to the community.

With Student Government, they do use some of their funds to go to Make a Wish kid or St. Mary’s. StuGo donates to Make a Wish Kid, as well as helping out at St. Mary’s Food Bank in Central Phoenix. Breanna Isbell, senior, is in charge of Mr. OC this year which will be on February 6.

“When boys sign up for Mr. OC, they have to pay a fee to sign up, and then an admissions fee of five dollars to view Mr. OC. All the proceeds will go to Make a Wish kid. Make a Wish kid comes out every year and tells their story, and they will be the judges of the panel, who will judge the contestants of Mr. OC,” Isbell said.

This year, they are doing a family christmas, which is giving what the kids in group homes want for Christmas. Each kid in StuGo has already donated 20 dollars for the family Christmas.

For each kid in the group home, they have already collected 60 to 75 dollars. They also go around small businesses, ask family and friends, to donate.

The Interact club also does a lot of volunteering and donating to different types of charities.

“Due to the hurricanes earlier this year, people were more focused on donating to them, so we didn’t get much during that time for the food bank than we did last year, raising around 4,500 dollars,” said Melissa Mara, advisor of the Interact club.

Since the start of this school year, the Interact club has helped out at the Tranquility Trail Animal Sanctuary, Andre House Dinner Service, St. Vincent de Paul’s Heart and Hands Kids Days, as well as donating to St. Mary’s food bank and Feed My Starving Children.

Even if you may not be rich, it is always helpful to volunteer and donate. According to Mara, while some people are complaining about not having the latest Apple product, there are people who don’t have shoes, or food.

“My parents weren’t rich, but they weren’t poor either. They always taught me that you should always help other people who are struggling. The way I view the world ever since I started volunteering and donating, hasn’t really changed a whole lot because I always had that same viewpoint ever since I was growing up,” Mara said.