Making a costume like a cosplayer
October 20, 2017
Step 1: Love what you’re doing
- Choose a costume from media you know and love. Make sure it’s an easier character to avoid complex outfits.
- Follow the Five-Piece Rule. This means focusing on five details from the outfit throughout the process of building.
Step 2: Make sure you can do it
- Gather background knowledge on the chosen costume.
- Draw up a plan with a layout for the outfit sketched out. Seek help from experienced cosplayers on campus or online.
Step 3: Find The supplies
- Finding the right items can be very difficult. Be persistent. Avoid expensive items by searching thoroughly.
- Examples include looking for wigs, make up or accessories. Use Michaels, Goodwill and online stores.
Step 4: Don’t give up
- Mistakes will happen. Stay calm and try again. There are often helpful tutorials online to help recoup mistakes.
- Stay calm, have fun, and enjoy the finished product!
Get advice from Cosplay Club after school every wednesday in room 526.
Ethan Gilchrist is the Editor-in-Chief of The Talon for the 2017-18 school year. This is the culmination of a four year journey for Ethan as he reaches...