Fostering an Interest in English

Lily Newcomb, Opinions Editor

Photo By Chad Renning
Craig Foster, a new teacher at OHS.

“I have some great passion for teaching literature and writing.”  After a lifetime of learning, Craig Foster, a new English teacher at OHS has arrived to show faculty and pupil alike that the student can become the teacher, and a dedicated one at that.

Sandra Day O’Connor adds a new member to the family, one fully familiar with the system of education.

“I went to Mesa Community College for two years and then I went to ASU and I got both my Bachelors and Masters. My Bachelors was in English, and my Masters was in Curriculum and Instruction. I have another masters from the University of Phoenix in Curriculum and Technology.” Foster says.

When asked about how he views his job of sixteen years, Foster quotes “I think reading and writing are fundamental in any profession, so regardless of whether kids want to become a doctor, attorney, or someone in retail, to be successful they have to have the reading and writing fundamentals.”

Making a daily commute from the East Valley, Foster is very excited for the opportunities our school gives.

“When I interviewed for the job, I really felt as though [Assistant Principal Nicole] Duquette and [English teacher Kim] Parker wanted me to come teach here.” He added, “When I came for the interview, it was pirates and mermaid day. I’ll never forget, Ms. Duquette was dressed up like a pirate. Just seeing the kids, and the beauty of the campus, I felt as though this was where I needed to be.”

Finding an importance in his work at the school, Foster also finds importance in other activities, such as his ‘hobby’ of helping out at a hospital at night.

“The hospital has been very good to me. I mean, I love what I do. But my job here at school always comes first.” Foster says, “I get to go there and see people get their hips replaced, and heart surgeries and spinal surgeries and new babies being born. I enjoy helping people, so it isn’t difficult at all.”

When asked how he feels about the new school year, Foster says “You know, just interacting with the kids, meeting new people- working in a new community. I think that this is a beautiful campus, a beautiful school. We have great teachers here and a supportive administration.” Foster summarizes his feelings with a simple and final note, “I am extremely glad and happy to be here.”