Badminton serves up a successful season

Darshana+Sripathi+%28left%29%2C+senior%2C+and+Arpana+Sripathi%2C+senior%2C+practice+serving.+

Photo by Abby Mills

Darshana Sripathi (left), senior, and Arpana Sripathi, senior, practice serving.

Abby Mills, Design Chief

Varsity:

Perseverance and adapting to change is vital for any team’s success. As the 2022-2023 OHS badminton season commences, the team continues to improve through major obstacles. 

Varsity badminton is in a state of considerable change, forced to build itself from the ground up—still the team carries on. 

“We are in a rebuilding year. We lost all of our seniors and one other player that was on varsity. So we lost the whole varsity team last year. A lot of the girls are stepping up and doing well. We’ve just got a year to rebuild. Hopefully, we’ll be better next year. But we’re hanging in there,” said Paula Cappelletti, badminton coach. 

Many players have rapidly moved up to varsity, and they are still constantly working to improve their technique. 

“I started off [on] exhibition, which is like the teams that don’t really count and only play one game. And then, later on in the season I moved up to JV, so I really like getting better at the sport and practicing to move up,” said Brynlee Evanson, sophomore. 

Those who moved up to the varsity squad had to adjust to facing more experienced players.

“It’s weird because everyone I’m playing with [are] all seniors and juniors so they have all been playing so much longer than me. So I lose more but I’m trying. Most of the games are close,” said Cara Davidson, sophomore. 

Sports can take up most of a student’s time, with school and work, it is hard to juggle it all. Some students might not be able to  continue their badminton career because of the stress.

“I love the coach and I love the team but with work, driving, and all the stuff that I have to do. I might not [continue playing]. We’ll see,” Leebanson said 

When compared to other sports, badminton shines brightly above the rest due to the team’s supportive nature.

“Honestly, badminton is the most fun sport I’ve ever played. The entire team structure is amazing. In badminton, we’re all friends and we all have fun doing it,” Leebanson said. 

After the 2022-2023 season, many look towards the future, confident in the team’s success and resilience. 

“Our future is bright. I’m looking forward to the young girls that are coming up. They’re excited about playing badminton. They want to be here. They are working hard. So, yes I am very excited about next year. But we do lose four more seniors. It’s going to be a tough few years but we are hanging in there and working on building our program,” Cappelletti said. 

JV:

During the sports transitional year, JV has stepped up to the plate. Their great adaptability has helped them meet the demands of a difficult season. 

The team during its 2022-2023 season has fostered an environment where students can have fun with one another.

“We like to mess around a lot but we get serious when we need to. We have a lot of fun during practice and even during games. We also try to do team bonding after every game,” said Jasmine Ha, junior. 

In any sport, students must deal with losing, yet the team continually chooses to rise above it all.

“Losses don’t really bother me that much. I just tell myself that it will get better, but I’m not super hard on myself,” Ha said. 

Badminton is unique, unlike other sports, they must work together with teammates but they also play individually. 

“I think we should remember that we can always improve and we shouldn’t be too down on ourselves. It’s a team sport but it’s also a single sport, so everyone has to be playing their best all the time,” said Carsyn Jensen, junior. 

The badminton coach continues to improve the team not only by enhancing her players, but by making them feel safe. 

“She’s a very good coach—I will say. She doesn’t usually get angry. I play basketball and track and those are sports with really tough coaches, so to have a nicer coach for one of my sports is nice. She doesn’t really order me around; she gives me advice and I take it,” said Payton McCall, sophomore. 

Badminton has not just taught students how to use a racket, it constantly teaches them new lessons about life.

“I think it teaches me how to collaborate because when we do doubles we have to have two people on the court. You have to talk things out [with them],” Jensen said. 

On the team, a player and the coach have a different relationship unlike any other. They are grandmother and granddaughter, who are getting closer with each practice. Mcall’s passion for the sport came from her grandmother’s coaching. 

“I don’t know whether to call her cap or grandma. But it’s cool because it gives us a commonality outside of school and brings us closer. I know a lot of people aren’t super close with their grandparents but I am and I feel like it’s because she’s my coach,” McCall said.