Club rush sparks student interest in clubs around campus

Photo courtesy Ashley Pereira

Bridgette Gass, senior, and Ashish Kaushik, senior, run the Go Green booth at club rush to recruit new members.

Amber Hayden, Staff Writer

Recently, students had the opportunity to see all the clubs OHS has to offer at the annual club rush event. Many clubs had booths set up, encouraging students to sign up for their clubs.

Before they ran booths themselves, many of these students attended club rush in previous years. Some of them joined clubs they were interested in.

“I went last year [to club rush] and I signed up for a few clubs. It was really nice. I joined Go Green and I really liked it there,” said Madison Senatore, junior.

Senatore was not the only one to explore club rush. Nathan Werner, senior, also attended club rush in previous years and had his own good experiences.

“I did too [walked around club rush]. I found tabletop [club] which was pretty fun. It was pretty good. I liked it a lot,” Werner said.

As a student who was running a booth for club rush, Satton Younger, senior, feels that club rush is effective for getting new students to join clubs available at school. Younger was running a booth for the tennis club and was trying to get people to sign up so they could learn tennis.

“Yeah, it’s been productive [to recruit new members through club rush] especially for growing throughout the year, just trying to learn the sport and get ready for the season,” Younger said.

Many others agree that club rush is useful to helping clubs get new members and to make students aware of clubs available around campus.

“I honestly think it helps promote the clubs better and it’s a really good way to have people more interested in it,” Senatore said.

While some clubs had been at club rush for a while, some like ASL were new to club rush this year.

“This is ASL’s first year to be in club rush, but it’s been around/existed for two years,” Senatore said.

This year ASL was joined by other new clubs like fashion and design.

“It’s our first year [and] this is the club’s first year [so] new beginnings,” said Sarah Vaughn, sophomore.

It may only be ASL’s first year at club rush, but they got a good turnout. 

“This year, we have actually gotten a lot of people to at least put their information down so we’re hoping a lot of people show up,” Senatore said.

Winterguard also had a successful club rush experience. They had many people walking through and showing interest in their club and asking about it.

“Club rush is going pretty good. We’ve had a couple people come in saying, “oh look at that”, “that seems cool”, “look at that”, “what do you have”, “what’s the information?”, stuff like that. It’s pretty good,” said Faith Moya, senior.