Online learning brings new challenges

Gabriel de Souza, Social Media Manager

Online learning has been something the OHS community has had to adjust to while school stays closed, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Many people have differing perspectives on the way students are learning now.

Teachers and students alike have had to adapt to the new approach of learning, using the online platform, Zoom. Many have flourished using Zoom, finding a new found freedom in online learning, while some still struggle not being able to communicate with their teachers in the same way as before. One common complaint from students is the Zoom breakout rooms. Many find that the feature is awkward and not conducive with an effective learning environment.

“In breakout rooms nobody talks; they usually just mute themselves,” said Angela Peak, sophomore. 

Although it is a  struggle, Peak is still able to acknowledge the benefit of the breakout rooms. 

“You can actually talk more freely because there’s not 30 kids in one classroom; there’s just four of you in there,”Peak said.

Although there are many constraints of virtual learning, some are able to find a bright viewpoint. Teachers were expecting the worst after the initial failures of the virtual learning of last spring, but many are now realizing that this school year will be much different.

“It’s going so much better than I thought it would; my kids are learning so much more than I thought they would,” said Andrew Cardon, math teacher.

Another perspective can be taken through the eyes of working students. Many students at OHS have jobs, and it can be challenging balancing work and school. 

“I think it’s better for me, job wise, because that means I can go in earlier for work because sometimes school ends a little bit earlier,” said Carmen Chen, senior. 

Furthermore, students try very hard to listen and pay attention to each thing the teacher says during the virtual class, but many struggle with staying immersed in the subject.

“Classes are two hours long, so it’s hard to stay focused,” Chen said. “I think I would prefer doing in-person school because I just learn better like that.”

Though there are many complications that virtual learning has brought to OHS in the first weeks, students and teachers are able to overcome. As the school year continues into its second month, teachers are able to share knowledge with each other to make virtual learning the best it can be for their students.

“I am tremendously impressed by my students…to see my students in all my hours, and my seventh hour at the end of the day and my other end of the day class, and they’re still paying attention; I am very proud of them,” Cardon said. “Sometimes it takes overcoming a difficult situation to understand what perseverance is, to understand what resilience is.”