OHS boys soccer bounces back

Photo by Kaitlyn Smitten

Brody Blatnick, sophomore, battles his way up the field, towards the goal.

Victoria Kirova, Copy Chief

Varsity:

Following the conclusion of the 2022-2023 season, OHS boys soccer has already set their sights on the future.

This year was one for improvement, enhancing the players’ work ethic and skill. Though they did not reach their final goal, they were still able to receive benefits from the season, and are ready to implement new competencies into next year. 

“It’s been a long season. I think we’re all just ready for it to be over and start a new one next season. I think this year was more of a growth year than it was everyone expecting to make playoffs,” said Brayden Perry, senior.

The mental strain that comes from any sport can be exhausting, making it essential to have a motivator. While this source varies from person to person, many find the unity of the sport to be comforting. 

“The team. We all know we’ve got each other’s backs in that way and it’ll be a good season no matter what happens,” said Landon Stateczny, senior “ [We] just [need to] communicate more between everybody. Hopefully talking to the coaching staff and players to overall improve the team’s playing and season.”

A critical aspect of any team is the bond between players and coaches. For this reason, a significant goal for the future is to solidify the relationships between everyone, ensuring their overall advancement. 

“Just communicate more between everybody. Hopefully talking to the coaching staff and players to overall improve the team’s playing and season,” Stateczny said.

Thankfully, team captains are there to inspire players to put in effort regardless of the score. They serve as leaders, building up their teammates and aiding them in their path to success. 

“I’ve been trying to coach on the sideline at halftime and just trying to say that we need to work for each other. I’m already thinking about next year, so trying to come together for that,” said Connor Mattingly, junior.

Another important part of a team is holding everyone accountable, and reminding them of the       shared goal. 

“[When] we’re down a goal at 2-0, I make sure they know… kind of crack into them and let them know we’re not just here to be here, we’re here to win,” Perry said.

Overall, a pivotal part of the experience is to ensure that the player’s time is maximized, taking full advantage of the opportunities provided.

“Take chances while you have them because before you know it you’ll have no more,” Perry said. 

JV: 

With their sights set on solidifying their skills, the OHS JV boys soccer team can feel a sense of pride about their season.

“This year is a big improvement from last year, I think. It just took a little bit to find our groove but once we started bonding and bonding on the field, we just started playing better,” said Frankie Coppola, sophomore.  

Witnessing improvement in a sport is difficult, but though cliche, practice truly does make perfect. For this reason, the first step for players is making the most out of allocated practice times. 

“I think that as a group, it’s just giving 100% at practice. Practices aren’t as serious as they’re supposed to be,” said Liam Corder, sophomore.

With the mental and physical challenges that come with the sport, having goals in mind helps make the process more bearable. 

“Just to fight through it, try and work hard to get more minutes, get called up to varsity more, stuff like that,” Corder said.

In general, the experience of being on a team is a beneficial one that allows for sentimental moments to be created between players. The group atmosphere allows younger players to look up to more experienced players, setting a goal in their minds of similar success. 

“I’d probably say our very last game, senior night, one of the seniors got a hat trick. And we won senior night, sending the seniors off on a good goodbye,” Coppola said. 

In order to get better at a sport, it is necessary to adapt and strive for growth at all times of the year. This will allow for substantial results during the season.

“If we just all put in our own time, like during the off season, just train. So when high school season comes, we’re all better than last year,” Coppola said.