OHS girls wrestling makes its debut

Mia+Martinez%2C+senior+getting+her+hand+raised+after+winning+a+match.+

Photo courtesy of Katy Frost

Mia Martinez, senior getting her hand raised after winning a match.

Kaitlyn Smitten, Sports Editor

Girls:

OHS has always had an incredibly strong wrestling team, but this year, the team looks a little different. With the formation of a new team, OHS has opened the mat up to girls this year interested in the sport. 

Despite the team being introduced just this year, the coaches and girls have had no problems melding together and making huge improvements throughout the season, even sending two of their athletes to the state tournament. 

“We’ve definitely gotten more confident using the skills we’ve learned more and more and knowing how to use them properly. Being able to stay in matches longer and fight for what we want,” said Kaylee Coleman, freshman. 

Even though wrestling is an “individual” sport, the girls and coaches are extremely supportive and encouraging of one another and their triumphs. 

“We like to have fun. We try to keep it fun, in a serious way if we need to. We cheer each other on. We are always there for each other if we need help no matter if it’s school, personal, [or] wrestling. We’re like a family. Wrestling is so tough that if you’re not there for each other then what do you have,” said Janae Hunter, senior. 

Wrestling is known as one of the most taxing sports on not just the body, but also the brain. From grueling conditioning practices and cutting weight to losing matches, wrestlers must find motivation within themselves in order to truly love their sport. 

“The part in me that wants to win and wants to succeed in this sport pushes me and drives me through each practice, each meet, each dual, each tournament, and just wanting to get better at this sport so that I can continue to do it for the next four years I have here,” Coleman said. 

Finding motivation can sometimes be difficult, but a fun and lighthearted environment can make all the difference. 

“It’s a great program to be a part of, great people in this program and I tried it for about four days and I knew I wanted to do [wrestling] for the rest of the year,” Coleman said. “Showing people how fun this sport can be, how great of a team we have, the amazing coaches we have, and the opportunities that you get from wrestling and the life skills that you can learn.”

Staying positive, especially when it comes to sports, is crucial in order to succeed, but being able to identify and overcome the negative aspects can help someone grow even more. 

“It’s gonna suck. It’s gonna be really hard, but your work will pay off if you just keep pushing yourself and you just keep trying,” Hunter said.  Don’t just give up because there is no point. There’s been girls that have joined in the past and always just quit the first week because it’s ‘hell week’ and it’s terrible, it sucks, but if you push through it, then it feels like the rest of the season is a breeze.” 

Amidst the hardships, there are also so many opportunities that can come from wrestling. 

“I hope to inspire more girls, especially to do this sport. It’s getting bigger but we want to grow our team too. Even boys though, let’s get more wrestlers out there on the mat. It’s so much fun to be a part of,” Coleman said. 

Boys: 

In addition to their brand new counterpart, the OHS boys’ wrestling team has remained dominant, advancing four to the state tournament and even having one of their athlete’s palace third.

The team itself has also bonded throughout the season, getting to know each other better and allowing for more support on the mat. 

“We’ve just come a lot closer; we’re all friends now. The room is no longer silent before practice. We are all talking, having fun, laughing,” said Conner Gellings, sophomore. 

Team chemistry is an essential part of improving in a sport, no matter if it is a group or individual sport. 

“Having to tough out all the rough practices together. You’re there together. You’re not alone in those rough practices,” Gellings said. 

Despite the rigorous practices and meets, the athletes have learned many crucial skills that they can implement into their everyday lives.

“It helps you mentally. It helps you strength-wise, you just feel stronger,” said Benjamin Calhoun, senior. “A lot of discipline, a lot of accountability, a lot of respect too.” 

Even though wrestling can be incredibly draining, the OHS boys team does their best to push through the tough practices and get to where they want to beon the podium.

“Putting in the work, getting better every day. Getting past the mental block to win. Sometimes you’ll have bad practices but you have to get past that,” Calhoun said. 

In the end, the feeling of euphoria that the athletes get when they win a match is incomprehensible and makes all of the rigorous training worth it. 

“You gotta put in the work. It’s hard and we all know it’s hard. You gotta just stick it through,” Gellings said. “I like winning. It’s fun to go out there and get your hand raised after a match.”