Baseball strikes back with ardor and appreciation

Photo by Jackson Morgan

Landon Turnage, sophomore, preparing to throw a pitch.

Kaitlyn Smitten, Staff Writer

After a tragic loss of their season last year, baseball, much like many other sports, was beyond eager to get back on the field and show their love for the game.

OHS baseball has always been a competitive program and with many stars, like Cannon Smith, senior, it is a very successful program. With OHS baseball losing in the first round of playoffs in 2019 to their rival MRHS, they are even more driven to make a run in the playoffs. 

“I’m excited to make a deep playoff run this year, especially with last year’s season getting cut short,” Smith said.

Although spring sports got cut short last year, OHS baseball is still excited  to prove themselves and make a comeback. Smith highlights the unpredictability of the playoffs and how “anything can happen,” and to always be prepared. 

“I think our team is good enough and has enough experience to make a playoff run and once you’re in the playoffs, anything can happen,” Smith said.

Along with the team, the coaching staff is also very excited to have their season back and intends to make the best out of it, even if it means they have to follow precautions. 

“So far [the season] is going good, we are seven and three. We have won some big games and we have lost a couple heartbreakers but all in all I feel good about the direction we are going,” said Jeff Baumgartner, baseball coach.

OHS baseball has always been a competitive program and no matter what circumstance, they have always tried their best to perform to the best of their abilities. Being in the top 16 in Arizona is a great privilege and one to be proud of.

“I think everyone is very appreciative to be out there and I think these seniors are appreciative to have their season and have it not be cut short,” Baumgartner said. 

Everyone is very grateful for their season and working hard to keep it by following the COVID-19 precautions as they want to be able to have a season to remember. 

With OHS baseball constantly improving, the team is trying their best to win as many games as possible and have a good season overall, especially with the seniors. 

“I think the best part of our season was definitely pulling off the two Liberty wins, we came back from behind in both games. We really had to sack up and score some runs the last inning and that helped our region record and ranking a lot,” said Garret Anderson, senior. 

With their season getting cut short last year, everyone has learned to appreciate it a little bit more and work even harder to get to the ideal spot, the state championship. 

“I think we have a good shot at winning state this year, the whole team wants it and is pushing to be the best we can be,” Anderson said. 

Being a senior, Anderson has learned throughout his years at OHS what it takes to be a great player and have a great team. In addition to that, he knows how to push a team to be their best. 

“I think everyone is very appreciative that we have a season and we are all working hard to make it the best yet,” Anderson said. 

Along with varsity, JV and freshman are also having a very successful season, with JV going 9-4 and freshman going 8-4. All teams at all levels are very successful this season, showing their enthusiasm for the sport. 

“Everyone is trying their best to succeed this year, especially due to the circumstances,” Baumgartner said.