Adjusting to the now for FBLA, HOSA, and FCCLA

Lindsay Steinberg, Copy Chief

With the world still trying to adapt to COVID-19 and attempting to seek normalcy, clubs around campus are also adapting to the changes being thrown at them. Clubs like FBLA, HOSA, and FCCLA are all facing the pandemic in different ways and have had to adjust to online competition, with some having to tackle last minute changes.

The transition from online to in-person is impacting the clubs for how they prepare for their competitions and even the mindset they are competing with. Though, they also have to be ready for any last minute changes with the unpredictability of the pandemic. 

“Originally, we were supposed to have our regional competition in person at a West Mec campus and then it got moved to virtual last minute, due to the Covid surge,” said Megan Polliard, HOSA member and junior. 

The changes do come with some pros for people, as many seek the good to highlight the situations and abrupt alterations.

“I think it [competing online] makes it harder for people to compete, but I think there are some good things about it too,” said Esha Saraswat, junior. “You have to dress up as a business professional for FBLA and for every competition I’ve worn sweatpants and a blazer on top.” 

Being online removes one vital aspect of their competitions, the in-person interaction, which can help FBLA members receive better feedback and develop a stronger presentation during their competitions. 

“Online, for our regionals, it’s a little bit harder to do because you’re not in person with the judge and you’re not getting as much real people interaction, but it’s easy on the technology end because you can just share your screen,” said Lauren Bauer, sophomore. 

While regionals may have been canceled last minute, state is still set to be in person and it’s an exciting moment for everyone in the clubs. 

“We are competing at state this year, so we’re going to be going in March,” said Allie Gardiner, FCCLA member and junior. “I’m really glad it’s in person, I feel like it’s a lot more personable that way because we actually are presenting to judges.”

For some, it’s their first time competing in person as COVID impacted their entire experience within the club, but it offers a new layer of excitement and room for opportunity. 

“It’ll [competing in person] be different, especially because my freshman year I wasn’t in HOSA so my first year was completely online and on Zoom,” Polliard said. “Everything was totally different so it’s like relearning what normal is supposed to be.”