Huge shifts in gas prices impact students

Photo by Gabriel Souza

An OHS student observes the rising cost of gas.

Lindsay Steinberg, Copy Chief

Gas prices have seemed to only be increasing the past few months, even going as far to increase by $1.50 over the past year. The prices also appear to have no end to the growth in price in the near future. While to some, this drastic increase may not matter, to high school students paying for their own gas, this is dire. 

The high prices combined with the lifestyle of students, does not end well for anyone. The demand of school, sports, social lives, and possibly work, rack up the miles a student may have to drive. Which goes perfectly in hand with what people are speculating is the cause of the rise in prices, a low supply that can’t keep up with the high demand. 

“[Gas prices are] very high and it is a ridiculous amount for high school students or college students, or anyone for that matter,” said Madison Gold, senior. 

In 2019, it was a shock that gas prices soared a little over $3 a gallon. Compare that to the past few months, some gas stations in Arizona are seeing prices around $4 a gallon, with predictions that it will only increase. A major issue being there is no idea when these increases will come to a halt, and just how high it reaches before it stops. 

“It used to be $45 to do my whole tank and now it’s $55, and I don’t even drive a truck,” said Hailey Sourp, junior. 

Sourp isn’t the only one who is tackling these giant increases, many other students have noticed the shift in price and are facing the consequences of it as well. 

“I filled up my car twice last week, the first time it was $46 and the second time it was $37, that was a third of my paycheck,” Gold said. 

A serious issue is that a minimum wage job, which is the most common for a high school student to have, if they are even in the workforce, cannot cover these inflated prices. Many students also lack the time to put in a lot of hours, resulting in most of their paycheck going to paying for gas. 

“[I fill up my car] once a week because my parents drive that car too and it’s my responsibility to fill it up,” Sourp said. “My minimum wage job, all the money is getting taken out of it.”

The concern may be nonexistent to some, but others who are paying for their own gas are noticing these drastic shifts and seeing the consequences it is having to their bank account.  

“As a teenager, I think you should care about gas [prices], especially if you drive a big car, because gas [prices] is ever changing. The price will keep going up and that’s not good,” said Jackson Waller, senior.