The Talon

Freshman Mentors: as helpful as they seem?

Mentors+Hanna+Flores%2C+junior%2C+and+Isabella+Shawe%2C+junior%2C+talk+to+the+other+freshmen+mentors+about+how+to+help+freshmen.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Mentors Hanna Flores, junior, and Isabella Shawe, junior, talk to the other freshmen mentors about how to help freshmen.

Cassidy Moore

Cassidy Moore

Cassidy Moore

Emilie Reid, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Transitioning to high school can be a hard and stressful experience, especially when upperclassmen are sometimes seen as intimidating. However, this problem is conveniently tackled here on campus, by a group known as Freshman Mentors.

The small army of upperclassmen and underclassmen meet with freshmen during Eagle Hour and play games or have discussions on different topics to try and ease any anxiety freshman may have about their classes or overall experience.

Many of the mentors are very passionate and involved in the group, making sure to buy prizes, candy, or various types of foods to make their freshmen feel more comfortable or excited about meetings. But are these tactics working?

Alex Webb, freshman, has a neutral opinion on the meetings and his mentors.

“They’re fun when we actually do activities besides the name game and play Kahoot. My mentors are very polite, but sometimes it can get awkward when some kids don’t participate,” Webb said.  

The mentors do make sure to let their groups know that they understand how they are feeling, as well as pass along advice and knowledge seeing as many of the mentors are seniors.

“My mentors taught me the school chant and they tell us to make sure that we make the most of our high school experience, even though it can be hard sometimes,” Webb said.

Along with activities inside the classroom, Freshman Mentors also organize events throughout the school year and can be found around campus on Future Freshmen Nights.

Just recently, the mentors hosted a Freshmen Movie Night, and earlier in the year they put on a tailgate before the first freshman football game of the season, as well as a freshman dance.

Julia Yocom, freshman, attended the recent movie night which featured “Elf”, and complimentary hot chocolate.

“I like my mentors, they all seem really nice. When we split into groups and we were talking they said if we see them around school to say ‘hi’ or if we see them at lunch and we need someone to sit by we can sit with them,” Yocom said.

However, no group or organization is perfect. There are always aspects to change and improve upon, which may be something that the mentors may focus more on in years to come.

“Maybe they could switch up the groups so that we could meet other students that are also freshman this year,” Yocom said.

Webb had a bit more to suggest for the mentors to possibly change in upcoming years.

“I would change how they act, and have them try to be more energetic and act like they do around their friends when they’re around us. I would also have them treat us more like adults, and not kids,” Webb said.

The mentors seem to be a growing group every year. More students are jumping to be a part of the club as it looks good on college résumés and provides them with an opportunity to help out the underclassmen.

There is no doubt that the club has improved freshman outlooks on their future years to come. With the constant flow of new members every year, the group will continue to guide and mentor freshman classes for many years to come.

Emilie Reid is the Arts and Entertainment Editor of The Talon this year. Emilie joined the publication last year in hopes of expanding her knowledge on...

Cassidy Moore, Co Editor-In-Chief

Cassidy Moore is Co Editor-In-Chief with her long term friend Nikki Hazelett. She is excited to begin her fourth year on the Talon and can't wait to see...

• Freshman Mentors: as helpful as they seem?

News

Stugo reaches for the stars with Cosmic Dodgeball

News

Meditation Room brings peace to campus in a new efficient way

News

Parent night educate on teen drug abuse and mental health

News

Let’s get down to business: students enlist

News

“Project Momentum” means new prospects for classrooms

News

Freshmen mentors starts the year off with first meeting

News

Talk on Eagle Hour leaves students with anticipation

News

Improv team prepares for a new year

News

Students have the chance to enhance their grades with AzMERIT

News

Students stress about dual enrollment