AP vs Dual: What is the best choice?

%28Left+to+right%29+Juniors+Gabriell+Fernandez%2C+Andrea+Giacini%2C+Aaron+Mendez+help+Melissa+Mara%2C+AP+Environmental+Science+teacher%2C+in+the+glass+garden+while+%28middle%29+Cassidy+Meyer%2C+junior%2C+waters.+AP+classes+can+offer+hands+on+experiences.+

(Left to right) Juniors Gabriell Fernandez, Andrea Giacini, Aaron Mendez help Melissa Mara, AP Environmental Science teacher, in the glass garden while (middle) Cassidy Meyer, junior, waters. AP classes can offer hands on experiences.

Nikki Hazelett, Sports Editor

One of the hardest decisions upperclassmen have to make during class registration time is whether or not they want to partake in Advanced Placement (AP) classes or dual enrollment. The biggest concern is over which class is going to benefit a student more.

Both AP and dual classes are considered high level, rigorous courses that help prepare students for being in a college classroom one day. Each of these classes can provide students with transferable college credit and give them a jumpstart on the next four years of their life.

“Students in these particular classes are more engaged in the learning environment and it makes it easier for me to pay better attention,” said Grace Neal, junior.

AP classes are known to be the most challenging and time demanding classes that OHS has to offer. The class is also free of charge, only costing a student and their parents money when they decide to register for their desired AP test towards the end of the school year. These tests cost about $100 per class and are roughly 3-4 hours long.

Based off a 1-5 point grading system , students who score a 4 or 5 are almost guaranteed college credit for the course for any in-state college. It is best to check with a specific out of state college first to make sure they will even accept these classes. Students scoring a 3 may also receive credit depending on the college.

“It’s preparing me more for college because it’s the more note taking style, the more class structure style, and the harder tests,” said Chase Toncheff, junior.

In a dual class, a student pays $87 per credit, which equates to around $260. They will also receive in-state college credit as long as they pass the course with a C or higher. While these classes can seem costly, compared to the price of the class at a university, students and parents are saving a significant amount of money. Most dual classes will require a placement test beforehand to make sure a student can handle the classes material.

Both classes give students the opportunity to place themselves ahead in their college academics by completing a few classes while still in high school.

“I’m already ahead for freshmen year when I go to ASU,” Sahej Dodd, senior.

There are many students on campus who take a mix of AP and dual classes, reaping the benefits of both opportunities. However, it is important to contact colleges out of state before deciding which class to take. It is good to check and see if a particular college will accept Rio Salado credits, which are the ones received from dual enrollment.

In the end, both classes give numerous benefits to students. Picking which class to take truly depends on the needs and future aspirations of the student.