First week for freshman
August 31, 2015
The first week of high school is a milestone for both students and teachers. It is also is the start of another chapter in your life for incoming freshmen which can be both nerve-wracking and exciting. So I decided to ask a couple of people about it, both a teacher and a student.
Kyle Russell, Spanish teacher, believes that his freshmen had a very successful first week.
- How was your first week with freshman students?
“The first two weeks have been great. No issues.”
- Were most freshman prepared? How were they prepared?
“Most seemed ready for school. I was impressed.”
- What was the hardest part for the freshman during the first week?
“Transitioning from being the king in 8th grade to being the lowest classmen.”
- Do you think they will be ready for their High School career?
“Eventually, but they are doing ok now.”
- How was their behavior during the first week?
- Were any freshman worried about freshman Friday?
“None that I noticed. A few were excited.”
- Was it hard for the freshman to adjust to the high school atmosphere?
“For a few. Most were fine.”
- How involved are most of your freshman students so far?
Caitlyn Peña, freshman, believes that freshman had a very successful week.
- How was your first week of high school?
“Good, different transition. Most of the upperclassmen were rude.”
- Were you prepared for your first week?
“For the classes yes, but not for the full transition.”
- What was the hardest part of the first week for you?
“Meeting the standards that the teachers wanted.”
- Do you think you are prepared for your High School career?
“I think so.”
- Were you nervous about your first day?
“No, because people told me stuff that I should expect.”
- Were you worried about freshman Friday?
“Yes, I thought that I would get picked on by the upperclassmen.”
- Are you involved in any clubs yet? Which ones?
“Yes, marching band and I applied for freshmen mentors.”
- What middle school did you come from?
- Do you have any siblings that go to OHS? If not do you know anyone here?
“No, but I do know a lot of people from West Wing and church.”
Hello! I am a sophomore this year at OHS and this is my second year in the OC Journalism department. I mostly cover minor news stories or anything that...