Lotz returns to OHS

Sara Lotz prepares for her Spanish classes for the day.

Emily DiTomasso, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Sarah Lotz, Spanish teacher,  has returned to the OHS world language department after a year of absence. Why would she return? Chocolate.

Lotz spent a year teaching at Goldwater High School, but came back to OHS and she shared some of her experiences with The Talon.

Q: Have you taught at different schools? If so, where?

A: Lotz said that she started teaching in Chandler but then decided to go back and get her masters. After finishing school, she then taught Spanish 101 and 102 at NAU for one year.  Lotz then moved to OHS but left after one year to teach at Barry Goldwater. She mentioned how she wanted to teach 5-6 or 101 and 102 and Naylor reached out for her to come back to OHS.

“Naylor bribed me with chocolate,” said Lotz.

Q: How long have you been teaching?

A: Lotz started teaching in Fall 2008.

Q:What made you interested in teaching Spanish?

A: Lotz said she wanted to teach younger kids at first, but then met elementary school teachers and she started to question if that is something she really wanted to do. When she was stuck on what she wanted to be, a friend mentioned how she should be a Spanish teacher instead and she loved the idea. Lotz also said how she really liked learning Spanish in high school and she was close to her Spanish teacher.

Q: What is your favorite part about teaching a new language to students?

A:  Lotz said that she likes to see how much the student can do by the end of the year.

Q: What do you learn in the Spanish classes that you teach?

A: Lotz called 5-6 the next step after 3-4 and also mentioned how there are harder grammar concepts. She said that her 101 and 102 classes are just like the high school 1-2 and 3-4 classes but you receive a college credit.

Q: Favorite part of the Hispanic culture?

A: “All of it,” said Lotz.

She said how she cannot pick because it is so wide and varied. Lotz also added that she loves the people, food, art, history, and music.

Q: Where have you traveled?

A: She has only been to Mexico for six months with a study abroad program and then went back a couple of times.

Q: What are your favorite Spanish movies/music?

A: Favorite artist is Juanes and favorite movie is La Misma Luna.

Q: What are some teaching techniques that you use?

A:  Lotz likes to use technology and a lot of speaking activities.

“Because everyone learns differently I try to do different things throughout the week,” said Lotz.

Q: Why do you think it is important to learn a foreign language?

A: It opens up so many opportunities to know another language. She adds that it is a new way to see the world and at the same time it is fun.

Q: Do you have any advice for students who are struggling with Spanish?

A: “Talk to your teacher outside of class because teachers can’t always read your mind. Coming into tutoring for just five minutes can make a difference,” said Lotz.