Spanish students wake up for Srta. Lewis

Ila Lewis, Spanish teacher new to OHS this year, works towards setting up a technology rich environment in her classroom. Photo by: Ryan Temple

Ryan Temple, Online Editor

This year, OHS welcomes several new teachers. One of them is Ila Lewis, a Spanish teacher who left her old school in Scottsdale and now teaches both Spanish 1-2 and 3-4 at OHS.

Q: Why did you leave your last school and come to OHS?

A: Because O’Connor is much closer to my house. I was driving in more than 20 miles in heavy traffic, plus I live in the district.

Q: What has been your impression of OHS thus far?

A: I think it’s great. It’s very well organized. People and administrators walk the walk and not just talk the talk. They don’t just say things, they do them.

Q: What has been the most unique thing about OHS?

A: I think the technology rich environment, compared to where I was. I think technology makes everyone’s life better.

Q: What other teachers have you bonded with?

A: Mr. Dupree and Mrs. Naylor, but just about everybody has been very friendly.

Q: How does being a Spanish teacher at OHS differ from when you were a department head at a previous school?

A: I have a lot less responsibility. There I was responsible for 15 teachers where we taught five languages, and not only did I teach five classes, I had to do administrative work, I had to mentor new teachers, I had to be a role model, etc..

Q: How do you think OHS has compared to other schools you’ve been at before?

A: It’s on par with the schools I taught at in New Jersey, and definitely ahead of the school I taught at in Scottsdale.

Q: What was the most difficult thing about your transition to OHS?

A: I think it’s getting used to implementing all of the new technology, plus on top of all the new teachers’ things, I’m not getting a lot of sleep because I don’t want to drop the ball.

Q: What was the thing you were most surprised about your first week?

A: I think the thing I’m most surprised about is how united and how well the department works together here, because that’s unique. It doesn’t happen at other districts.

Q: Based on first impressions, is there anything about OHS specifically that you’d like to change?

A: Yes, I would like to be able to get into the office area before 6:30 a.m. because I’m an early bird. But that’s about it.

Q: How does the lunch at OHS compare to other schools?

A: Let’s put it this way, I never ate lunch at the school in Scottsdale, and I’ve already ate several days here.