Who Cares? Student motivation declines during a high school career.

Valerie Bond, Staff Writer

The evolution of not caring.
As a teenager it is inevitable that eventually we sort of just stop caring.
As a sophomore I have spent 11 years of my life in a place where children go to be lectured at. This place is more commonly known as school.
The first nine years I spent in a charter school with uniforms and strict rules.
The last two years, however, I have spent here at OHS.
In the beginning I cared about what I did, my grades, where my life was going to go after high school. But as my sophomore year comes to an end, so does my caring.
I know that makes it sound like I am slacker, and maybe I am. I am an all honors and AP student.
And my brain is just kind of done right now.
Newspaper has put me in an environment with multiple seniors, who I’ve seen the effects of “senioritis” take a hold of.
I am sorry to say that it is no longer “senioritis”.
Think about how many of you have stopped caring even if it was just for a week. You just want the week to end and it’s Monday. Sure Mondays are Mondays, but Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday are just as bad.
Here is my point: our generation has just given up.
We have technology to type our papers, do our research, we use SparkNotes instead of actually reading our English assignments. Maybe this is not true for every single person out there, but for the majority of our generation it’s true.
Rarely do I see a kid reading something for just the enjoyment, yes I said enjoyment.
We are more concerned with the latest celebrity scandal than what latest disease is claiming lives.
We watch reality TV shows about people who could care less about where the world is headed, instead of trying to help somebody who could use money, food, or shelter.
We would rather watch a movie about mythical creatures than look into our past to try and prevent history from repeating itself.
We have given up hope, and that genuinely frightens me.
If we stop caring nothing will improve, disease will still ravish the earth and chaos will consume the world.
As the human race evolves, so does our level of not caring. We have stopped pushing ourselves to do bigger and brighter things.
People have stopped trying to change things, and have just gone into a state of submission.
What I am trying to say is get off the couch, put your phone or whatever down and make a difference to prove to me that our generation isn’t going to plunge society into nothingness.
I am not saying that I am going to sit back and watch you attempt the world, supervising you has never been my life goal. My first step is simply telling you that something needs to be fixed.
Next step, I want to do something that will make people rethink the way they are living their lives right now. That is my life goal, to be the reason someone can get up out of bed and try to make the world better in their own way.
Maybe what you should think about is this:
When someone says your name, what will they say or think?