OHS’ very own future collegiate athletes

Kaitlyn

Brayden Perry, senior, celebrates as he signs to play collegiate soccer at Paradise Valley Community College.

Kaitlyn Smitten, Sports Editor

The opportunity to further an athlete’s career collegiately is an incredible honor that is afforded to many OHS students. Numerous young athletes dream of the chance to be able to play their sport at a high level, and for these OHS athletes, their dreams really did come true. 

Playing a sport at such a competitive level does not come without its burdens. From gruelling practices to endless emails, athletes who are truly serious about playing in college must have a true love and passion for their sport. 

“Honestly,  [the recruiting process] was really overwhelming at times. I was emailing hundreds of schools at a time and I had to keep track of which ones were actually interested in me and which ones weren’t. I had to get really comfortable with being on awkward phone calls with coaches, and I was pretty much stressing about the whole process,” said Finley Buman, senior. 

Most of the time, playing at a high level is romanticized, but what many outsiders do not see is the draining extent that the recruiting process can be. 

“There was a lot of rejection and for a while, I was actually thinking about just quitting volleyball because I was putting in so much work and had gone weeks without any attention from coaches. It wasn’t until I started seriously talking with Western Oregon that I felt like the recruiting process was even worth all of the work it took,” Buman said. 

Buman is committed to play Division II volleyball at Western Oregon University next year and plans to major in environmental science. 

“I really wanted to go to a school somewhere in the Pacific Northwest not only because it’s beautiful there, but because there’s a lot of job opportunities for my field, so I started out by looking at a bunch of schools in Oregon and Washington, and Western Oregon just checked all of my boxes,” Buman said. 

Finding the perfect school can sometimes be difficult. With every school offering different programs, it can be overwhelming for student-athletes to choose where they would have the best career options, while still playing their respected sport. 

“My parents and I started out with cost and how the team was on paper, etc., but what really decided it for me was the coaches, the players themselves, and the overall home feeling of the campus,” said Liana Huesca, senior. 

No matter what choice an athlete decides to make, it is vital that they have a strong support system behind them who will cheer them on no matter what. 

“For me, it had its ups and downs because I was trying to find the right home that fit, but I am so grateful for all the support I got from my coaches and parents throughout the process,” Huesca said. 

Huesca will be playing Division II beach volleyball at Texas A&M University Kingsville next year while majoring in animal science. 

“Know what you want in a school and be patient in the process, there’s a home for everyone,” Huesca said. 

In addition to academic and athletic ranking, the social aspect of a school is also a major deciding factor for many when choosing to take this next step. 

“I wanted to make sure I found a school that fit best for what I was looking for. I love how my school has a large campus but a small number of students so it’s not crazy overwhelming and I really love having a close-knit group of people,” said Harper Sullivan, senior. 

Sullivan will be attending Stonehill College next fall while majoring in criminology with aspirations of going into criminal law, while simultaneously playing Division I softball. 

“Prioritize what you are looking for and don’t compromise. Don’t be afraid to put in your own work, and make sure to create a good relationship with your future coach,” Sullivan said. 

Another prominent factor when choosing a college is whether or not the athlete can see themselves playing and excelling under the coach. 

“I just loved the coaches and I couldn’t see myself playing anywhere else. I am able to stay [at] home and still play, so it’s the best of both worlds,” said Katy Frost, senior. 

Frost will be continuing her athletic and academic career at Scottsdale Community College next year and majoring in exercise science. 

“My favorite part was definitely making connections and meeting new people. I recommend to be patient and enjoy the journey. What’s meant for you, will come to you,” Frost said. 

In addition to Frost, another OHS athlete will also be attending Scottsdale Community College. Brayden Perry, senior, is committed to play soccer and is majoring in business and communications there next fall. 

“I just thought going to a community college will save me money my first two years, [then] get my associate’s degree. Luckily I don’t have to pay anything going to my community college so then after that, I’ll look into going to a four-year university,” Perry said. 

For some athletes, staying close to home is at the top of their checklist, but with that comes extensive research into what schools in the vicinity offer the academic program one is looking for. 

“It’s not always easy to just find a place. You have to do the research, the work. You have to make sure you know who you are talking to and make sure that’s a school you want to go to, because if it’s not, then you’re not going to enjoy playing there,” Perry said. 

One of the most important, and often overlooked aspects of deciding on a school is whether or not a person could see themselves living where their chosen school is. 

“I really just wanted to get a new environment. It snows there, so I thought just different seasons would be really cool and I really like small towns and Durango is a pretty small town so I really liked that aspect of it,” said Haley Stafford, senior. 

Stafford will be playing Division II soccer at Fort Lewis College and plans to major in business with a minor in photography. 

“The college coach reached out to me and then we spoke on the phone and then I had a visit there. It was very quick and easy, and then I just got committed there,” Stafford said. 

Being able to find a school that not only piques one’s interest, but also feels like home is a crucial deciding factor for many, especially when leaving their home state. 

“Once the season started to end there was a visit offer and I ended up taking an official visit. They fly you out there. It’s super fun, they get to show off the campus, and then you’re kind of just left with the decision yourself. It’s about making the decision in your mind about whether you want to go there or not,” said Elijah Goodwin, senior. 

For the majority of student-athletes, the quality of academics as well as the amount of opportunities presented, is the main reason they choose a school to commit to. 

“My deciding factor was mainly the future that it will give me. It’s one of the most prestigious schools out there and there’s tons of opportunities that it gives me for my future and my life, and I get to do the thing that I love doing the most, which is throwing javelin,” Goodwin said. 

Goodwin will be attending the United States Military Academy in Westpoint, New York, and competing in Division I track with plans to major in foreign affairs, with hopes of working in counterintelligence for a government agency one day. 

“ [The school] allows me to have that opportunity while also building a career and a successful future for myself,” Goodwin said. 

Despite how difficult and time-consuming the recruiting process may be, if an athlete truly loves their sport they will be willing to make numerous sacrifices in order to fulfill their dreams of playing at a collegiate level. 

“The recruiting process takes up time, and it’s a lot of ups and downs, but if you’re really passionate about your sport, and you keep working at it, you’ll be able to find the right school for you,” Buman said.