Stugo presents #daringoc for Hoopcoming spirit week

Courtesy of @OCEagleExpress Twitter

This promo poster advertises the upcoming Hoopcoming blacklight dance.

Nikki Hazelett, Sports Editor

OHS Stugo has planned a Hoopcoming blacklight dance on Jan. 21 at 7 p.m. in the gym with the theme All of the Lights.

With all the hype revolving around this year’s Hoopcoming, students are beginning to wonder why the school’s winter spirit week is being done the week after the dance. This confusion has caused many students to start questioning Stugo.

What students didn’t know was that this season’s spirit week had already been set in stone, while the date of the dance was flexible and could be moved if need be.

The weekend of spirit week is at the same time as when the theater department begins showing their senior production of “Picnic” and the students of Stugo did not want to distract from all the hard work put into this production.

“We didn’t want to take away hype or even compete with their big show. They work hard and deserve as many attendees as possible,” said Demi Hulsebus, sophomore.

The first spirit week of 2017 will be January 23-27 and will be based off the hit movie Nerve.

To start the week off, Monday comes in with the famous phrase from Nerve, “Are you a watcher or a player?” The day will consist of students dressed in lazy day attire versus sports clothing.

Tuesday is twin day where you can grab your partner and become look a likes.

Wednesday is cinema crashers and encourages students to dress as any movie character.

Thursday is for the thrill seekers and consists of ripped jeans, leather, etc. Also on Thursday, Stugo has planned a cosmic dodgeball game in the gym that starts at 6 p.m.

To end the week, Friday will be class colors and a neon out. Freshman are neon orange, sophomores are neon yellow, juniors are white, and seniors are neon pink.

An assembly will also be held during the school day to celebrate this year’s winter sports and the ending of spirit week.