Even educators need a vacation

Austin Lane, Staff Writer

Summer is not only a break for students; it is also a break for teachers and school staff.

81 OHS staff members participated in a survey on how they spent their summer.

Of the open respondents, 70 went on a vacation trip. Two individuals vacationed without others but most chose to go with coworkers, friends, and by far the most common, family.

In terms of location, the more popular destinations were beaches, theme parks and large cities. A few staff members even went so far as to leave the country for places like Ireland, the Bahamas and the Grand Cayman Islands.

Summer vacation, however, isn’t always about where you go but about what you decide to do. It is evident that each staff member has an array of pastimes with which to occupy themselves. Many mentioned reading and other education-related topics as others tidied their homes, spent time with family, pursued active, outdoor activities like swimming and hiking, and even traveling and seeing and learning about the world along the way.

In addition, some respondents showed a dedication to their job at OHS by planning for the new school year, or choosing, instead, to take up a second job in either an education field or something entirely unrelated with a different set of skills.

Some graded essays, tutored and taught, operated in manual labor, worked with a publication, and helped at summer camps.

Truly, the staff at OHS is diverse and active and it shows in how they live and work, not only during the school year but in the off-months, as well.