Portela propels into sports medicine program with a competitive edge

Photo by Chad Renning

Melissa Portela is OHS’s newest sports medicine teacher on campus.

Bailey Brammer, Editor-in-Chief

As an athlete, being competitive is something you strive for. But, can you carry that competitive spirit over into teaching too?

Melissa Portela, OHS’s newest sports medicine teacher is doing just that, by combining the athletics she practiced as a teenager with being a teacher.

Q. Why did you choose to teach at O’Connor?

A. “The opportunity arose to get back into practicing athletic training, and I have missed the actual practice of it, I have just been teaching for the last seven years. I’ve known Chandler Evans, (OHS Athletic DIrector) for a while, and he’s got a good reputation around the athletic training world too. With Dr. Miller, he just seems like “Okay, you show me a good idea, and how it’s going to benefit us, and we’ll run with it.”

Q. Do you think we have a good administration this year?

A. “Absolutely. They have been nothing but open to every issue I’ve had, which hasn’t been too many. They’ve got great sense of humors, and they’re very welcoming. They’re not intimidating, their offices are always open. “Whatever you need, let us know.””

Q. Why did you want to work in sports medicine?

A. “Being an athlete, I got injured quite a bit, so I started when I was 14. I was injured and I went into a sports medicine facility, a physical therapy office, and I just fell in love with the place. I looked into it more, I loved medicine, and I loved sports, and the way to combine it was sports medicine. And I’m such a competitive person too, that once I was finished playing sports, I still wanted to be around it.”

Q. What do you think of O’Connor’s CTE program?

A. “I think it is incredible. The support at the district level, and here on-campus, there’s so many players that will help you out, and they are there to help you. They won’t so much hold you hand, but they’ll tell you what’s needed, what they can do and how they can help. And at my old school, it was kind of like that but we also had a lot of freedom, here, this is what we’re doing, and the opportunities for the new building, they’re building a lab and two classrooms. It’s just incredible. It’s growing in popularity, and I like to jump into a good established program… Hopefully I can add to it, but the CTE programs they offer here have been successful and popular.”

Q. What do you think of your students this year?

A. “They’re very open and they’re very respectful. And that’s good to come in at the beginning of the year and set a good impression. You want to set a good impression for your teacher. But they are open and willing to learn, and they’ve been very open to what we’ve already done in class. The hands-on approach, and kind of what to expect. They’re sponges, they’re soaking it all in.”

Q. What are your favorite things to do outside of school?

A. “I have some young kids, so they keep me busy, but I like to be active as much as possible. I like to be outdoors. I still do play basketball, so that’s kind of my favorite, but anything dealing with being active and outdoors, with my dogs.”

Q. What high school did you go to?

A. “I’m from Boise, Idaho, so I went to Boise High School.”

Q. If you could give your high school self any advice, what would it be?

A. “There’s a quote, that says “ when one door closes, another door opens.” However, you can just open the closed door, that’s how doors work. If an opportunity was to present itself, you can break through the walls. Find a way to break through it.”