Fleegle becomes an official eagle

Shawna+Fleegle+helps+her+senior+class+with+a+vocabulary+exercise+at+the+beginning+of+class.+

Shawna Fleegle helps her senior class with a vocabulary exercise at the beginning of class.

Kayci Riggs, Copy Chief

Shawna Fleegle is one of many new faces on campus this year, joining the language arts department.

Q: So this is your first year teaching right?

A: “Yes and no. This is my first year full time at Sandra Day O’Connor but last year I also taught as a student-teacher here and online English at a charter school.”

Q: Why did you stay at O’Connor?

A: “I love SDOHS. I’ve been here for student-teaching and an internship and all the teachers have become like family. I love the students.”

Q: What subject do you teach?

A: 3-4 and 7-8 language arts.

Q: Why did you pick that subject?

A: “I love reading and writing. I have a great passion for all of the arts.”

Q:. Why did you want to become a teacher in the first place?

A: “When I was in sixth grade I spent my lunches tutoring a second grader who was in fear of being held back. I taught him how to read. Ever since I knew I wanted to help students.”

Q: What is your favorite part?

A: “The kids. They’re hysterical. They have such great personalities. Funny, creative, insightful. Never a dull moment.”

Q: If you could have done anything else what would you have done?

A: “I would be a writer. I hope to publish a book one day. I minored in art. I love theater, acting, writing all of it.”

Q: What is your favorite thing to do outside of school?

A: “I like to go hiking, read, cook, spend time with my loved ones. Most of my time I spend with my sophomore daughter.

Q: Where are you from? (State, college, etc)

A: “I’m a native, I grew up in Southwest Phoenix in a rough neighborhood, I went to ASU immediately out of high school, decided to just be a mom, and went back about 5 years ago. Teaching has literally been a 20-year dream for me. I love coming here every single day.”

Q: What do you want your students to know about you?

A: “My daughter is my world, I have a 1-year-old puppy Yorkie named Chance, and all of my students and staff are considered my family, they can always come to me for anything”.