Dunklee drives physics program with new force

Dunklee+drives+physics+program+with+new+force+

Taylor Stokes, Managing Editor

With the start of  a school year comes fresh classes, different students, and of course new teachers. Brand new to OHS is Jacob Dunklee who teaches AP Physics I and II. He recently moved from teaching in Tucson to Phoenix and he has a lot expected of him as the only Physics teacher on campus.

Q: Why did you move from Tucson?

A:“My girlfriend lived up here and we had to make it work somehow. That’s the main reason really. Her jobs are scarce since she is a theatre teacher.”

Q: What are the differences between Tucson and Phoenix?

A:“Tucson is more chill, more hippie, more nature people. There are a lot of angry people in Phoenix. Drivers are terrible here. No one here really seems to hike and stuff like down in Tucson.”

Q: What is it like filling in the shoes of a beloved teacher? Was that even really brought to your attention?

A: “No one really mentioned it, I guess. I don’t really worry. I’m just going to fill my own shoes.”

Q: What made you choose OHS?

A: “The campus and the attitude when I  interviewed. More of just driving around the area, it’s a nice neighborhood. Like when I was in other areas I thought ‘Oh maybe I should lock my doors’. The other schools weren’t terrible, I just preferred it here.”

Q: What is your reaction to the students here?

A: “ They seem nice. I have AP students so they’re all good kids. It’s a good thing and a bad thing because as a teacher you kind of want those bad kids sometimes. I mean, you make connections with AP kids but they’re always worried about everything and it’s like no you don’t have to do that it’s okay!”

Q :How do you feel about College Board setting up Physics as two classes (Physics I and Physics II) instead of just Physics AB?

A: “Scared. AP 1 is fine since I have had experience teaching that class. AP 2 will be a little more difficult second semester because its been seven years since I learned it so that frightens me a little bit. I’ll probably have to relearn it a few days in advance. It’ll just take time.”

Q: What are your thoughts on the implementation of the iPads?

A: “I think they’re going to be good. We still as a school have to learn how to use them. Right now they seem to be more of a distraction. It has great potential but kids seem to use it for Twitter and Instagram and Facebook and kids are always playing games. I think as teachers we have to learn how to use them and the school is allowing that. It’s awesome. I do think the minis are stupid though. You can’t get as much done on them. I think they’ll probably go full sized from here on out.”